Donald Trump’s travel ban on individuals from seven Muslim majority countries has been thrown into doubt by a judge who ruled that it was unlawful.
U.S. District Judge James Robart in Seattle upheld cases brought by two states – Washington and Minnesota – and granted an order effectively suspending the order issued by Mr Trump on Jan 27.
His ruling contradicted a judgment in Boston. Within hours of the Seattle ruling Sean Spicer, Mr Trump’s press secretary, issued a strongly worded statement, saying that the administration would appeal what he initially described as the judge’s “outrageous order”.
But while the White House signalled its determination to fight Judge Robart’s ruling, Customs and Border Protection was reported to have told airlines that it was in the process of reinstating the visas which had been rescinded by President Trump’s executive order.
Judge Robart, who was appointed to his position by George W Bush, said the states who brought the case had demonstrated that the executive order caused “immediate and irreparable injury.”
The case brought by Minnesota and Washington was the latest in a salvo of legal challenges to the travel ban on people from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Libya and Yemen. It also suspended the U.S. refugee program.
This means travelers from previously banned countries now have a temporary time frame to enter the United States before the emergency stay is filed