At least 27 people are reported to have been killed in a shooting at a hotel in the Tunisian seaside town of Sousse.
Tunisia’s interior ministry said two gunmen had opened fire on the beach between two hotels at the tourist resort, and that one was still on the run.
Security sources told the Reuters news agency that an exchange of gunfire had been reported at the scene, and that one gunman has been killed.
An official with the interior ministry said the death toll had risen to 27 and that it included foreign nationals. It was a dramatic increase from an earlier report of a handful of deaths.
Sousse sits on the Mediterranean Sea and is highly popular with British tourists, and is cited on holiday operator Thomson’s list of prime destinations for Britons in Tunisia.
Experts said the Sousse attack was more likely to be the work of Isis militants than any other terror group, though there was no immediate claim of responsibility.
It came after an attack on a French factory just outside Lyon and a bombing of a Shia mosque in Kuwait earlier on Friday, both of which were reported to be Isis-linked.