Tunisia admits was not prepared for beach attack

Tunisia admits was not prepared for beach attack

Tunis: Tunisia`s president has admitted security services were not prepared for last week`s jihadist beach massacre, as authorities warned the country is likely to lose more than half-a-billion dollars in tourism revenues.

Friday`s carnage — which saw a jihadist gunman kill 38 people, mostly British holidaymakers, at a seaside resort — was the second attack on tourists in Tunisia claimed by the Islamic State group in just three months.

President Beji Caid Essebsi said security had been boosted in other areas for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which has seen Islamist violence in previous years, but that authorities had not expected beaches to be a target.

“It is true that we were surprised by this incident. Arrangements were made for the month of Ramadan, but they never thought (measures) had to be taken on the beaches,” Essebsi said in an interview with French radio broadcast on Tuesday.

On Friday a Tunisian identified as 23-year-old Seifeddine Rezgui pulled a Kalashnikov assault rifle from inside a beach umbrella and went on a bloody rampage at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel in Port El Kantaoui near Sousse, south of the capital Tunis.

IS, which controls swathes of Iraq and Syria, swiftly claimed the attack.

The jihadist group had also claimed responsibility for killing 21 tourists and a Tunisian policeman at the National Bardo Museum in Tunis in March.

After the Bardo museum attack, jihadists threatened new violence, with IS sympathisers tweeting under the hashtag #IWillComeToTunisiaThisSummer.

“It`s not a perfect system,” Essebsi told Europe 1 radio. “If there were failings, disciplinary action will be taken immediately.”

Tunisia vowed new security measures in the wake of the attack and on Wednesday is to deploy 1,000 armed officers to reinforce tourism police along its Mediterranean coastline.There were no signs yet of increased security at the scene of the attack, with no police visible at the hotel or in the surrounding area, an AFP journalist said.

Police and vehicles that had deployed on Monday during a visit by the interior ministers of Britain, France and Germany were gone by Tuesday morning.

Several witnesses to the attack said it lasted more than 30 minutes before the gunman was shot dead. Critics have accused Tunisian security forces of failing to respond in time, but officials say they were on the scene within minutes.

Thousands of frightened tourists have fled Tunisia since Friday, including at least 4,000 who were flown home to Britain, the country hardest hit.

Tunisian health authorities have so far identified 25 of the bodies and British Home Secretary Theresa May told reporters as she visited Port El Kantaoui that 18 of the dead were confirmed as Britons.

Officials in London have said the number of British victims could rise to at least 30 after formal identification procedures are complete.

The attack was Britain`s worst loss of life in a jihadist attack since the July 2005 London bombings and prompted a call from Prime Minister David Cameron for increased efforts to fight extremism.

Tunisia`s tourism industry was already suffering from the political upheaval that followed the 2011 overthrow of ex-dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and previous jihadist attacks.

Related Post

Suicide bomber kills 32 in northeast Nigeria
views 65
POTISKUM, Nigeria: A suicide bomber killed himself and 32 civilians on Monday when he detonated explosives on the edge of a religious procession by th...
Key Bangkok bomb suspect escaped via New Delhi to Turkey, Thailand says
views 63
BANGKOK: A key suspect in last month's bombing at a Bangkok shrine that killed 20 people has fled to Turkey, Thai police said Monday, in another indic...
53 gangsters arrested in Russia
views 69
Some 53 gangsters have been arrested after police swooped on a gathering billed as a criminal networking party. Police raided the gathering after rece...
ISIS ‘using Twitter to ask for suggestions on how to kill Jordanian p...
views 100
Beirut: A week after the Islamic State militants captured Mu'ath al-Kaseasbeh, the terror group is asking for 'ways to kill the Jordanian pilot' on Tw...
#JeSuisCharlie tweeted more than five million times
views 46
WASHINGTON: Twitter users have posted the #JeSuisCharlie hashtag, a sign of solidarity with the victims of the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris, more tha...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK