Cabin crew on an Indian passenger aircraft have used a fire extinguisher to tackle a smoking Samsung handset. The Note 2 handset was smouldering and spitting sparks, according to a statement from airline IndiGo.
The crew’s prompt action meant the aircraft landed safely at Chennai, its intended destination, said IndiGo.
The incident comes as Samsung recalls millions of new Note 7 devices because of faulty batteries.
IndiGo said no-one was hurt during the incident, on flight 6E-054 from Singapore to Chennai.
Passengers told the aircraft’s cabin crew about smoke emerging from an overhead luggage compartment which, when opened, revealed the smoking phone in a piece of hand luggage, it said.
Once doused with an extinguisher, the sparking phone was put in a bucket of water in the plane’s toilet and kept there until the aircraft landed.