Part of British parliament evacuated due to suspicious package

Part of British parliament evacuated due to suspicious package

LONDON, Nov 17 (Reuters) – The part of the British parliament housing the offices of many lawmakers was briefly evacuated on Monday due to a suspicious package before staff were allowed to re-enter the building.

A spokeswoman for London’s Metropolitan Police said Portcullis House, an office building opposite the Houses of Parliament and above Westminster underground station, was evacuated while police investigated.

Police on the scene said the station had also been closed, and police motorbikes could be seen blocking cars and members of the public from entering the road.

Britain’s security threat level was raised to its second-highest level in August due to risks posed by Islamic State fighters returning from Iraq and Syria. Security analysts say foreign fighters in Iraq and Syria now number in the thousands.

Last month, armed soldiers were deployed at a top tourist attraction in the heart of London’s government district as a precautionary measure after an Islamist gunman attacked the Canadian parliament.

Related Post

Drugs, prostitution add 10bn pounds a year to British economy
views 118
London: The inclusion of illegal activities such as prostitution and drugs into national accounts would add about 10 billion pounds to national output...
India sues Nestle for nearly $100m over food safety
views 64
India's government is seeking damages of nearly $100m from Nestle India for "unfair trade practices" after the food safety regulator banned its hugely...
Thousands march in Mexico for 43 missing students
views 56
Marking four months since 43 students went missing in Mexico's Guerrero state, supporters demanded the students' return during mass demonstrations in ...
Italian police secure mafia arrests across Europe
views 150
The latest police raids targeted a clan of the 'Ndrangheta - said to be the biggest cocaine smugglers in Europe Italian police have secured the arrest...
Paris attacker identified
views 68
PARIS: The man shot dead trying to attack a Paris police station on Thursday was convicted of theft in 2013, a source close to the investigation told ...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK