MH370 crash latest: Malaysia, China, Australia to ‘refine’ search efforts

MH370 crash latest: Malaysia, China, Australia to ‘refine’ search efforts

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia, China and Australia will meet in September to “refine” the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 after part of the plane’s wing was discovered on an Indian Ocean island last month, more than a year on from its tragic disappearance.

On August 5, Malaysia’s prime minister Najib Razak said experts had “conclusively confirmed” that the debris found on the French island of Reunion — a piece of the wing known as the “flaperon” — came from the doomed flight, which vanished 17 months ago in one of aviation’s greatest mysteries.

However, French investigators were more cautious, saying only there was a “very high probability” that the flaperon came from the plane, sparking anger from relatives over the ambiguity.

“With the discovery of the flaperon, we have to sit down with Australia and China to map the way forward to find the plane,” Malaysia’s deputy transport minister Abdul Aziz Kaprawi told AFP.

“We hope to refine and prioritise the search efforts. Definitely, the search will continue in the same area,” he said, adding that officials were working out the date for the gathering and the host for the meeting.

The jet disappeared from radar on March 8 last year after mysteriously veering off its original flight path from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Investigators believe the aircraft ran out of fuel and crashed somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean.

Of the 239 people on board, the majority were Malaysians and Chinese. Australia has been leading the search for the plane, the largest multinational search operation in history.

More than 60,000 square kilometres of the seafloor have been searched so far, with no trace of the missing Boeing 777 found until last month’s discovery.

In April it was announced that the search area could be expanded up to 120,000 square kilometres if needed.
[AFP]

Related Post

Kuwait death sentences for murder of Filipina maid
views 18
A Lebanese man and his Syrian wife were convicted in absentia. The body of Joanna Demafelis was dumped in a freezer in their abandoned apartment. It w...
Brussels terror attacks: ISIS bomb blasts at airport and Metro leave 28 dea...
views 157
At least 28 people have been killed and dozens injured in Brussels after a series of terror attacks struck the city's airport and a metro station near...
Turkish Air Force bombs IS targets in Syria
views 57
Turkish fighter jets early on Friday bombed positions of the self-styled Islamic State (IS) inside Syria for the first time, as police arrested hundre...
17 inmates dead of poisoning in Venezuela
views 36
CARACAS: At least 17 Venezuelan inmates who had been on hunger strike over prison conditions, died Wednesday of drug poisoning, police sources said. T...
‘100 die’ as Syria gas field seized
views 30
About 100 soldiers, guards and employees have been killed as jihadis seized a gas field in central Syria, activists say. Militants from the Islamic S...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK