Istanbul suicide bomber registered as refugee before attack

Istanbul suicide bomber registered as refugee before attack

Istanbul: The suicide attacker who detonated a bomb that killed 10 German tourists in the heart of Istanbul’s historic district had registered as a refugee just a week earlier, Turkish officials have said Wednesday, raising questions over whether extremists are posing as asylum-seekers to inflame anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe.

Turkish authorities identified the assailant in Tuesday’s attack as a Syrian man who was born in 1988, and said he was affiliated with the Islamic State group. Turkish media, including some close to the government, identified him as Nabil Fadli and said he was Saudi-born. The extremist group has not so far claimed the attack.

  • Turkish police released the image of ISIS member Nabil Fadli, 28, who killed 11 tourists in Istanbul suicide attack
  • Tour guide Sibel Şatıroğlu saw the suicide bomber ‘pull the pin’ and shouted at tourists German group to run away
  • Three Russian men with links to ISIS detained over bomb which killed 11 and injured 14 in Istanbul on Tuesday
  • Blast rocked the Sultanahmet district which is home to world-famous sites including Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia
  • Corpses and body parts lay strewn across a main square after the bomb detonated near an ancient Egyptian obelisk
  • Ten members of German tour group believed to have died and six hurt in blast by ISIS suicide bomber from Syria
  • Angela Merkel said attack would strengthen German resolve to strike back at ‘cruel and inhuman face’ of terrorism

Meanwhile, Turkish police arrested five people suspected of direct links to the bomb attack which took place just steps from the historic Blue Mosque in Istanbul’s storied Sultanahmet district.

The suspects were not identified. The bomber had recently entered Turkey, authorities said, and Interior Minister Efkan Ala confirmed reports he had registered with an Istanbul branch of the Migration Management Authority, providing fingerprints that allowed officials to quickly identify him.

Ala said the bomber wasn’t on any Turkish or international watch lists for IS militants. “This person was not someone who was being monitored,” Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said. “It is a person who entered normally, as a refugee, as an asylum-seeker.”

The attack wounded 15 people, including nine Germans and citizens of Norway, Peru and South Korea. Six of the victims remained hospitalized yesterday. Although not as deadly as two attacks in Turkey last year that were blamed on IS, Tuesday’s bombing had heightened resonance because it struck at Turkey’s USD 30 billion tourism industry, which has already suffered from a steep decline in Russian visitors since Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border in November.

Related Post

100 Killed In Paris Concert Hall Attack
views 75
At least 100 people have been killed inside the Bataclan concert hall where attackers seized hostages, police officials say. Confirmation of the numbe...
ISIS threatens to kill 2 Japanese hostages unless Tokyo pays $200 million
views 48
BEIRUT: The Islamic State group threatened to kill two Japanese hostages unless it receives a $200 million ransom within 72 hours, but Tokyo on Tuesda...
UK’s Daily Mail to buy Yahoo?
views 37
The owner of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper and media group is in early talks over a bid for the ailing U.S. internet company Yahoo. A spokesman for ...
All bodies removed from MH17 crash site in Ukraine
views 32
Scores of bodies that had been gathered at the main Ukraine crash site of Malaysian plane MH17 have been removed, an AFP reporter on the scene said on...
At least five dead in French avalanche
views 33
Local rescue services have confirmed the deaths today to BFM television, saying they were among a group of several dozen training off-piste in Valfrej...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK