A huge fire broke out at Puttingal temple at Paravaur (Kollam District), Kerala early Sunday morning leaving at least 107 people dead and over a hundred injured, local media said quoting police officials. The fire took place at around 3.30 am this morning. According to reports, the fire could have been caused due to a blast in the firework stockpile, readied for the temple celebrations. The police had earlier warned temple authorities to restrict usage of fireworks.
Eyewitnesses said disaster struck when a cracker meant to explode in the air fell to the ground, sending sparks flying in all directions. The sparks reached the storehouse, igniting fireworks stored there. The explosion that followed brought down a building and caused damage to several structures in the vicinity.
The explosion was followed by power disruption, which left the crowd clueless about the magnitude of the tragedy for some time. However, the locals swung into action, extricating bodies from the debris and pulling out the injured, many of whom did not survive the journey to hospitals.