Germanwings crash: French prosecutors open new probe

Germanwings crash: French prosecutors open new probe

French prosecutors have announced a preliminary investigation into whether manslaughter charges should be brought over the Germanwings plane crash.

It is not clear exactly who any possible charges would target. All 150 people on board, mostly from Spain and Germany, died in the crash in March.

Marseilles prosecutor Brice Robin said there was “no doubt” that co-pilot Andreas Lubitz deliberately crashed the Airbus A320 in the French Alps.

Both Germanwings and Lufthansa have previously said that Lubitz, 27, had passed all fitness to fly tests. Lufthansa has also acknowledged that it knew the co-pilot had suffered from severe depression in 2009 while training for his pilot’s licence.

Mr Robin said some doctors treating Lubitz felt he was unfit to fly but did not tell his employers because of German laws on patient confidentiality. He said a preliminary investigation by three magistrates would focus on whether the gap between what the pilot’s doctors knew, and what his employers knew, points to manslaughter charges.

Mr Robin said that Lubitz had seen seven separate doctors in the month before the crash – one GP, three psychologists and three eye specialists. Lubitz was troubled about problems with his eyesight and just over a week before the crash, he told one doctor he was only sleeping two hours a night and feared he was going blind.

But doctors could find no “organic cause” for his failing sight, with one doctor suggesting that it might have been due to psychosis. Mr Robin was speaking after meeting some of the relatives of those who died in the crash.

On Wednesday the coffins of 16 German schoolchildren and two teachers killed in the crash arrived in the town of Haltern.

Residents holding white roses lined the route as a convoy of white hearses passed the children’s school. The victims’ remains were the first to be repatriated following delays over errors on the death certificates.

The remains of the rest of the victims will be repatriated over the coming weeks. The passengers were from 18 countries, including Australia, Argentina and Japan, but most of those on board were either Spanish or German.
(AP)

Related Post

French police detain six in new ‘anti-terror’ raid
views 48
PARIS: French police detained six people on Sunday suspected of recruiting potential jihadists, just days after another operation saw five charged on ...
Germany train attack: ISIS claims responsibility 
views 179
The axeman – reportedly a 17-year-old from Afghanistan – launched the vicious attack on a train in Würzburg, southern Germany. A huge operation – inv...
German plane crash: ‘Lucky’ Swedish football team escape death ...
views 153
Players from Swedish team Dalkurd had planned to take tragic flight 4U 9525 from Barcelona to Düsseldorf but said they had been "saved from death" aft...
Paris police detain dozens after overnight violence
views 45
French riot police arrested 27 people after running battles with dozens of hooded and masked youths in downtown Paris's Place de la Republique square ...
EGYPT: Migrant boat carrying 600 capsizes, 29 dead
views 113
At least 29 people have drowned after a migrant boat capsized off the Egyptian coast, officials say. The boat was carrying about 600 passengers, of wh...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK