China sacks 32 Xinjiang officials engaged in organizing Mecca pilgrimage

China sacks 32 Xinjiang officials engaged in organizing Mecca pilgrimage

BEIJING: China has begun investigating a significant aspect of the lives of Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang, which concerns the annual pilgrimage to Mecca. It has sacked 32 officials for sending “unqualified people” on government organized tours to Mecca from the disturbed province.

Officials removed from their post include Aniwar Turdi, who was director of the pilgrimage affairs office under the Xinjiang Ethnic Affairs Committee. Two other important officials axed include Wang Xinzhong, head of public security bureau of Kizilsu prefecture and Yalikunjan Turdi, mayor of Artux, in Xinjiang.

More than 14,000 Chinese pilgrims went to Mecca on these government-organized trips last year. A much larger number of people in Xinjiang applied to be selected for the jorney resulting in a long waiting list, official sources said. But many of those who managed to get selected were not qualified because they were much below in the list.

These people were helped by officials, who abused their power by changing the list to cut waiting time for their relatives and others they favoured, investigators said. These officials in are now being investigated.

The officials, most of whom are in Kizilsu prefecture of China’s Northwest Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, have been accused of violating the Commuist Party’s discipline, abuse of power for personal gains and power-for-money deals, , according to anti-graft investigators.

He was transferred to the legal department with five other leading officials from the Kizilsu prefecture and Artux, the prefecture’s capital city.

The axed officials have also been accused of seeking and getting bribes and neglecting their duties about inspection and management of pilgrimage work, authorities said.

The regional government in Xinjiang has set up a political discipline inspection office to examine cases of misconduct by officials in religious affairs, which include irregulatiries in pilgrimages to Mecca. The office has handled 13 cases of officials trying to take advantage of pilgrims in the first eight months of 2014.

Related Post

Gunmen attack airport security site
views 59
Gunmen have attacked a training facility near Karachi airport, forcing a temporary suspension of flights and triggering a brief shootout with security...
Sri Lankan teen girl hangs self after row with mom over Facebook
views 82
Cases of suicide linked to Facebook pages of youth are growing at an alarming rate in Sri Lanka. In the third such case since the start of the new yea...
Indonesian Tsunami kills 400
views 7
The devastating impact of a huge tsunami in the Indonesian city of Palu has been revealed in chilling aerial photographs - in a natural disaster estim...
Bangalore again: 17-year-old seminary student gangraped by three
views 50
Bangalore: A 17-year-old seminary student was allegedly raped in the city's north-east suburb on Wednesday by three unidentified men, a police officia...
76-year-old man rapes daughter-in-law
views 71
BELLARY: An 86-year-old man has allegedly raped his daughter-in-law at Mallapura village in the district and is reported absconding, police said. Th...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK