China blasts death toll hits 85 as firefighters battle blaze

China blasts death toll hits 85 as firefighters battle blaze

TIANJIN, CHINA: The death toll from giant blasts in a northern Chinese port city has risen to 85, officials said Saturday, as firefighters battled to finally extinguish the days-long blaze at the devastated industrial site.

The explosions in Tianjin days earlier — starkly depicted in images of a giant fireball and a vast radius of destruction — have sparked concerns among locals who fear being cloaked in a toxic cloud.

Furious residents and victims’ relatives railed against authorities outside a news conference for keeping them in the dark as criticism over transparency mounted.

There were 21 firefighters among the dead, authorities said, and 721 people had been hospitalised, 25 of whom were in critical condition.

Residents and relatives were prevented from entering an official press conference on Saturday and could be heard shouting outside.

“Nobody has told us anything, we’re in the dark, there is no news at all,” screamed one middle-aged woman, as she was dragged away by security personnel.

China has a dismal industrial safety record and the disaster has raised fears of toxic contamination after officials said they were unable to identify precisely what chemicals were at the site at the time.

Tianjin work safety official Gao Huaiyou listed a host of possible substances at the briefing, adding that the firm’s recent large exports had included sodium bisulfide, magnesium, sodium, potassium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, and sodium cyanide, among others.

“We believe there should still be a lot stored at the terminal areas,” he said.

Personnel from sodium cyanide producers had been called in “because they are experts on the chemical’s nature and the ways to deal with it”, he added.

Questions have also been raised over whether firefighters responding to an initial blaze at the warehouse could have contributed to the detonations by spraying water over substances that react explosively to it.

Chinese media and environment group Greenpeace have warned that a host of potentially dangerous chemicals may have been present.

More than 200 nuclear and biochemical experts from the Chinese military were also deployed to Tianjin — which has a population of 15 million — to inspect the site.

Despite official reassurances over air quality, residents have expressed scepticism and some police have been seen in the city wearing full-face gas masks.

Authorities have only released limited information about the accident, a criticism often levelled at Chinese officials in the aftermath of disasters, and restricted discussion of it online.

Related Post

‘Top Islamic State hacker’ from UK believed killed in Syria dro...
views 86
WASHINGTON: A British hacker who US and European officials said became a top cyber expert for Islamic State in Syria has been killed in a US drone str...
Two boys sue Malaysia airlines over loss of father on MH370
views 34
AP: Two Malaysian boys have launched a lawsuit against Malaysia Airlines and the government for negligence over the loss of their father in the myster...
White House on lockdown after person threw items over fence
views 32
The White House was put on lockdown Wednesday after a man threw "personal belongings" over the north fence line of the White House complex. The Secre...
Al-Qaida in Arabian Peninsula directed attack against Paris
views 53
CAIRO: Al-Qaida in Arabian Peninsula directed the attack against the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris "as revenge for the honour" of I...
AirAsia QZ8501: Nearly 100 victims still missing as fuselage recovery aband...
views 51
Efforts to recover the wreckage of AirAsia QZ8501 have been called off after failing to find any more bodies inside the fuselage, despite 92 victims s...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK