Chaos at MH17 crash site: Russia accused of removing dead bodies to ‘destroy evidence’

Chaos at MH17 crash site: Russia accused of removing dead bodies to ‘destroy evidence’

Almost 300 people died on the flight travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, which was shot down over eastern Ukraine on Thursday morning.

Government officials in Ukraine confirmed today that just 186 bodies of the 298 on board the Boeing 777 had been found.

And now pro-Russian separatists have been accused of tampering with evidence at the crash site by removing bodies of the deceased.

“The government of Ukraine officially states that the terrorists, with the help of Russia, are trying to destroy evidence of international crimes,” a statement reads.

“According to government data, the terrorists have taken 38 bodies to the morgue in Donetsk.”

It is believed the plane was shot down by a surface-to-air missile fired by Russian rebels from the separatist eastern regions of Ukraine.

Downing Street said yesterday that it was “increasingly likely” that this was the case.

But with claims of evidence being tampered with emerging, the Malaysian government have called for the crash site to be secured as quickly as possible.

Malaysia’s transport minister Liow Tiong Lai told a news conference on Saturday “the integrity of the site has been compromised and vital evidence has not been preserved”.

He said: “Malaysia is deeply concerned that the crash site has not been properly secured.

“Any actions that prevent us from learning the truth about what happened to MH17 cannot be tolerated.

“Failure to stop such interference will be a betrayal of the lives that we lost.”

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK