British Airways plane bound for London with 172 people on board has burst into flames on the tarmac at Las Vegas Airport. The Boeing 777-200 was preparing to take off shortly after 4pm (local time) on Tuesday when its left engine burst into flames, sending thick black smoke billowing into the sky.
- British Airways flight bound for London was on tarmac at McCarran Airport
- Was taxiing towards the runway when it suddenly burst into flames
- Passengers escaped down evacuation slides and ran from the aircraft
- Two people were taken to local hospitals to be treated for minor injuries
- Passengers started running towards the door in a bid to get out
- It is not known what caused the fire
The 159 passengers and 13 crew were evacuated using emergency slides as firefighters tackled the blaze. Journalist Jacob Steinberg said he was asleep ahead of take-off when the plane “came to a crashing halt” and he smelt smoke. Two people are being treated for minor injuries, the airport said.