Australian beaches evacuated after suspected shark attack

Australian beaches evacuated after suspected shark attack

Several beaches were closed in Western Australia Sunday after a suspected shark attack on an inflatable boat, officials said, just a week after a surfer had parts of his arms bitten off in a separate mauling. The two men who were on board the inflatable canoe escaped unhurt and paddled back to shore, local media said. Although government officials said they could not confirm what caused the damage to the boat, they said the puncture marks were consistent with a shark bite.

The marks looked like “a series of punctures in an arc, giving the impression of a bite” said Lisa Clack of the WA Fisheries Department’s shark response unit, speaking to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation Sunday. The two men were in the canoe off Castle Rock near Dunsborough in south-west Australia late Saturday when the suspected attack happened. Two great white sharks were caught and killed off WA’s south coast near Esperance after 23-year-old surfer Sean Pollard lost parts of both arms when he was attacked just over a week ago. The attack followed the Western Australian government’s decision to abandon its controversial catch-and-kill policy — where sharks are caught on hooks attached to floating drums placed off beaches — after objections from the state’s environmental agency.

There is no current catch-and-kill order for the Castle Rock incident. The last shark-related death was in September when a man was killed in front of his wife after being bitten on the leg while swimming at Byron Bay on Australia’s east coast. Experts say attacks by sharks, which are common in Australian waters, are increasing as water sports become more popular.

Related Post

Qatar deploys 1,000 ground troops to fight Yemen’s rebels
views 53
SANAA(Yemen): Monday's development, which was also reported by the Qatar-based and funded Al-Jazeera news network, marks the first time Qatari ground ...
Boko Haram ‘kill 70’ in Cameroon border
views 54
The Islamist militants attacked civilians in their homes and in the town's mosque, local officials said, setting many buildings on fire. The attack co...
MALI HOTEL ATTACK: What we know so far
views 46
It made the announcement on its Twitter account, Reuters says, but the claim could not be verified. Al-Murabitoun is made up of two groups which brok...
Space station captures UFO: VIDEO
views 73
The unidentified object appeared on live footage streamed from the International Space Station. The clip has since been posted on YouTube by user...
How the Taliban attack on Pakistan school unfolded
views 57
The Pakistani Taliban on Tuesday launched a savage and cowardly attack on a school, essentially for children of military families, spraying machine-gu...

SHARE WHAT YOU THINK