INDIA: At least 25 people were electrocuted after a high voltage electric wire fell on a passenger bus in Pachewar area of Tonk district of Rajasthan on Friday.
According to initial media reports, around 50 people were traveling in the bus. 18 people died on the spot while the remaining succumbed to their injuries while they were being rushed to a nearby hospital. Police and district administration officials have reached the spot.
“15 deaths are confirmed and several others also received burn injuries,” PTI quoted District Collector Rekha Gupta as saying.
However, SP Deepak Kumar said, “The death toll is likely to increase.” Meanwhile, Prime Minster Narendra Modi took to Twitter to condoled the deaths.
“The bus incident at Tonk, Rajasthan is very heart-rending. My thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives,” he said in his condolence message.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje also condoled the deaths and announced a financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh from the energy department for the next of kin of the deceased.
Raje also rushed Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria, UDH Minister Rajpal Singh Shekhawat, Agriculture Minister Prabhu Lal Saini, Energy minister Pushpendra Singh and a team of senior doctors from Jaipur to Tonk, an official release said.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi also quickly came forward to express her grief, saying an immediate relief and compensation should be provided to the victims.